1 any of various chiefly fall-blooming herbs of the genus Aster with showy daisylike flowers
2 star-shaped structure formed in the cytoplasm of a cell having fibers like rays that surround the centrosome during mitosis
- A star.
- 1603, John Florio, translating Michel de Montaigne, Essays,
Folio Society 2006, vol. 1 p. 94:
- by the changes and enter-caprings of which, the revolutions, motions, cadences, and carrols of the asters [tr. astres] and planets are caused and transported.
- 1603, John Florio, translating Michel de Montaigne, Essays, Folio Society 2006, vol. 1 p. 94:
- Any of several plants of the genus Aster; one of its flowers.
- A star-shaped structure formed during the mitosis of a cell.
Aster can refer to one of the following:
- Aster (genus), a genus of flowering plants in the family Asteraceae
- Callistephus, another genus of flowering plants in the family Asteraceae, commonly called Aster or Chinese Aster
- ASTER (Advanced Space borne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer), onboard the Terra satellite
- Aster (auto parts company), a French auto parts manufacturer between 1900 and 1910
- Aster (automobile), a British automobile manufactured between 1922 and 1930
- Aster CT-80, an early Dutch eight-bit home computer
- MBDA Aster surface-to-air missile
- Aster (cell biology), a star-shaped structure with fibers surrounding the centrosome, formed in the cytoplasm of a cell during mitosis
aster in German: Aster
aster in French: Aster
aster in Italian: Aster
aster in Dutch: Aster (doorverwijspagina)
aster in Japanese: アスター